Welcome To The Modern Influencer
Welcome to The Modern Influencer, a blog chronicling the journey towards location independence through blogging.
On my About page I explain exactly what I’m doing here.
Two years ago I decided to start a travel blog as I dreamed of becoming location independent. While I have grown a moderate audience, the most I have ever made in a month was a measly 700 dollars – and that was a month where I worked incredibly hard. The problem is, each month I’m starting from zero again.
It’s defeating and some months I wouldn’t even try to earn money because of it.
So I started reading a ton of information online, thinking that somewhere someone had to be earning money a different way to how I thought I had to do it.
The problem is however, that while there are a ton of bloggers making money online, there is hardly anyone in the travel industry broadcasting how they do it with a small to medium sized audience. I took what I could from the bloggers who blog about blogging, but there’s only so much you can learn from people whose main profit comes from teaching others how to blog.
Since this blog is just a journal, and I aim to monetize my travel blog, I’m hoping this blog could be of future help to other travel bloggers on how to monetize passively with a smaller following.
Click here to read the rest.
On this website I want to share monthly updates on our location independence goals through our blogs and online influence. In the past I’ve had some success with freelancing and sponsored posts, however I’ll be focusing on establishing more passive income streams for my travel blog moving forward.
After two years of living in China with the plan of growing my blog I got increasingly distracted by teaching English and let my blogging dreams fall wayside. Now as I’m about to leave China, I’m using my savings to alternate between travel and working, in order to see if I can make it as a digital nomad.
It’s perfect timing for starting this website as well, as I’m sure many of you reading (is there anyone out there?) will be starting from square one as well. It will be good to have a clean slate and fresh start for our location independent journey.
While I have a main blog which is nearly three years old, in October I launched a number of websites and I’ll be chronicling their progress here from nothing to (hopefully) something. I hope this will be helpful to those who are just starting their own blogs and websites. I’ll also be writing about the progress of the niche sites I’ll be starting between November and January.
I have two main, long(ish) term goals.
- To grow multiple income streams across multiple websites, focusing mostly on passive income.
- To eventually make USD100,000+ a year from our work online (5-10 years).
- To position my blogs as authorities in their chosen niches, leading to both long and term partnerships to help lesson my costs and increase my income while I’m travelling.
I currently run one blog in the travel photography niche, and a few others which I have launched in October. I will also be building niche sites over the coming months.
YouTube Travel Channel
I recently started a new Youtube channel (in August) where I will record my travels, and tips for other travelers to be able to travel more often. Alongside that I am starting a Youtube channel for The Modern Influencer, to record my journey and tips on video, as well as on this website. I personally think video is going to be huge, and I feel like my editing skills are getting better everyday.
I doubt this will be a big earner for a very long time, but it’s a bit of a passion project for me as I really want to have videos to look back at when I’m older.
I’m currently at 15k, 8k, 7k and 14k on my main four Instagram accounts. I have been posting inconsistently and not trying at all with these so it will be interested to see what happens once I quit my job and have time to work on these.
2018 End of Year Goals
1. Implement all of the knowledge I’ve learnt in the courses I’ve purchased. I picked out some highly recommended and interesting courses to study in 2016 / 2017 and have only just recently finished them. I’m hoping to see a boost in traffic and income after implementing what I’ve learnt.
2. Earn $1000+ consistently each month. This amount would cover my living and / or traveling costs in South East Asia or Central America. I would love to earn more than this in a year but this is my minimum figure.
3. Earn USD100 minimum passive income from each site a month in affiliate sales or ads. Any site that isn’t pulling its weight by the end of next year will get cut.
4. Set up email funnels for all of the sites which earn a combined USD100+ a month.
5. Launch planned courses and products and earn minimum of USD100 a month collectively. I have a ton of ideas for products and courses that I’m going to be working on in 2018.
I have a few other vanity goals that I’d love to achieve but since I want to earn money I’m choosing to focus on these five overall.
I’d love to hear which goals you have for your blog in 2018?